The Old Post Office, on Pennsylvania Avenue, was built in 1899 and used as D.C.’s main post office until 1914. It has been mixed-use, primarily government and other offices, since that time. It was almost torn down in 1924, and later in 1964. It was renamed the Nancy Hanks Center in recognition of her work in preservation when she was chair of the National Endowment for the Arts.
Last year, GSA gave the Trump Organization a 60-year lease to build a hotel, with the restrictions that the historic building must be preserved and there must be public access to the clock tower.