This door is part of a large mural titled Shaw Racing Team that covers a wall at the entrance to Blagden Alley from 9th St. The mural was commissioned by the D.C. government, and is fairly old and has some graffiti markings added to it. It will probably be eliminated as part of the redevelopment […]
1218 16th St. NW was built in 1907. The plaque on the door reads: “Ennis William Cosby International House of the National Council of Negro Women, Inc.” The NCNW was founded in 1935 by Mary McLeod Bethune, and has its headquarters nearby at 633 Pennsylvania Avenue. Bill Cosby has donated to the NCNW in honor […]
The Fishermen of Men Church, at 3641 Georgia Avenue, was founded in 1969 and acquired the Georgia Avenue location in 1977. The building was originally the York Theater, built in 1919 for movie theater owner Harry Crandall by architect Reginald Geare. Crandall owned many movie theaters in D.C., including the Lincoln, and was one of […]
The Riggs National Bank, at 1503-1505 Pennsylvania Avenue, is across the street from the Treasury Department. It was completed in 1902 by the architectural firm of Young and Sawyer. The American Security and Trust Company building abuts it, and was designed by the same firm in the same neo-classical style, so the two buildings look […]
9 Dupont Circle is a small utility building on the triangular grassy island by Dupont Circle, in between Massachusetts Avenue, 20th St., and P St. The Dupont Circle Advisory Neighborhood Commission operates this space, under a no-rent lease agreement with the U.S. Park Service. They use the space as a place for community meetings and […]
1228 9th St. NW is a part of a row of old brick townhouses now converted into offices and mixed use. The building was originally constructed in 1900, and the remodeling made the building LEED-certified. The Bell architectural firm, which works on historic and adaptive re-use projects, has offices in the building.