Engine Company 2 is one of 33 fire stations in D.C. It was started in 1865 when the volunteer fire departments began to convert to paid firefighters. It has been at several locations in D.C., and was for many years at 12th St. before it was demolished for tunneling for the Metro. It has been at its present location at 500 F St. since 1979. Rescue 1 began in service in 1925.