The First Baptist Church is at 2624 Dumbarton St. in Georgetown. It was founded in 1862 by Reverend Sandy Alexander, who was a former slave. The church originally had a small building at 29th and O St. nearby. For a larger space, they selected land at 2624 Dumbarton St. and laid the cornerstone in 1882. With small donations and lots of help from its members, the church was gradually built over the next few years.