Monthly Archives: June 2014

1218 9th St. NW

The three historic rowhouses at 1216, 1218, and 1226 9th St. NW are in the process of being redeveloped into one mixed-use space by Douglas Development, preserving the original facades. They were built from 1880 to 1890. This door is from the middle rowhouse, #1218.

422 8th St. NW

422 8th St. NW is a Pepco power substation, taking up about half of the western side of the block between D and E St. The building is fronted by a series of partial facades that are from three buildings demolished during the redevelopment of Pennsylvania Avenue in the 1970’s and 1980’s (including Bassin’s Restaurant […]

909 M St. NW

909 M St. NW is a stately brick rowhouse, built in 1873. It was the home of Blanche K. Bruce when she was the U.S. Senator from Mississippi from 1875-1881. She was born into slavery, and she became the first the first African-American who had a full term in the U.S. Senate.

Former Bruce Elementary School

Bruce Elementary School, at 770 Kenyon St. NW, was built in 1898. It was one of the first D.C. schools built outside of the main downtown core, partially because land was cheaper here and the school building allotment was a flat amount regardless of the varying cost of land in the different parts of the […]

Renwick Gallery

The Renwick Gallery at 1661 Pennsylvania Avenue, is near the White House. Constructed from 1859-1874, it is the oldest museum in D.C. that was originally built to be a museum. It was designed by James Renwick, who also designed the Smithsonian Castle and St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City. It is an elaborate building […]

Flour Mill

The Flour Mill, at 1000 Potomac Street in Georgetown, was part of the original industrial buildings along the Georgetown waterfront on the Potomac. A flour mill was first built on this site in 1832 by George Bomford, but when it burned down in 1844, he rebuilt it as a cotton mill with an immense waterwheel […]

Greyhound Terminal

These doors are from the historic Greyhound Bus Terminal at 1100 New York Avenue, opened in 1940. It was an elaborate Art Deco structure, designed by architect William Arrasmith, who designed fifty Greyhound stations. The building is limestone with black terracotta trimming, aluminum and glass block openings, rounded corners, and a stepped tower. In 1976, […]