Bruce Elementary School, at 770 Kenyon St. NW, was built in 1898. It was one of the first D.C. schools built outside of the main downtown core, partially because land was cheaper here and the school building allotment was a flat amount regardless of the varying cost of land in the different parts of the city. The architect was William Poindexter, who designed the building in the Italian Renaissance style, using red brick with stone trim. This door is from the main facade facing Sherman Street.
In 2009, the building was converted into Chavez Prep, a public charter middle school.