Monthly Archives: September 2014

John Ross Elementary School

John Ross Elementary School, at 1730 R St., was built in 1888, similar in style to the other red-brick schools built in the District at that time. It was originally the Adams School, and after the Adams School moved, the John Ross School moved from Harvard St. to this location in 1935.

Scheele’s Market

1331 29th St. was built in 1850. It has been operated as Scheele’s Market for the past 120 years, and is the oldest corner market in Georgetown. The building was sold in 2011, and a neighborhood group who wanted to preserve the market paid for a convenant with the new owner that will keep the […]

World Wildlife Fund

The World Wildlife Fund’s U.S. headquarters is at 1250 24th Street, N.W. The building was designed to protect the environment, and is a quadruple LEED Platinum Certified building, with a large green roof with more than 50,000 plants. It has more than 250,000 square feet of office space, used by the WWF and a variety […]

Building 170

Building 170, at 200 Tingey St. SE, is part of the historic Navy Yard Annex. It was built in 1919, as an electrical substation. It is a large brick building in the Colonial Revival style. The buildling is in the middle of the area under redevelopment as the Capitol Riverfront, and plans are for retail […]

Heurich House

Heurich House, also known as the Brewmaster’s Castle, was built by Christian Heurich in 1894, at 1307 New Hampshire Avenue NW. It is a large Victorian mansion, and was the first fireproof home built in D.C., using concrete and steel. Heurich ran the Christian Heurich Brewing Company, which was the largest private employer in D.C. […]