1727 R St. NW is a five-story brick apartment building, built in 1908.
2136 Pennsylvania Avenue NW is an old three-story brick townhouse with stone trim. It is part of the real estate owned by GW University in their investment portfolio. GW owns most of the block, known as Square 75A, and will be tearing down the buildings on that block to construct an 11-story office building with […]
1327 Connecticut Avenue is a two-story building along a commercial stretch of Connecticut Avenue south of Dupont Circle. It was constructed in 1928. The Manor DC, a restaurant and night club, opened there in 2014; previously, it had been the Fiesta restaurant.
The National Museum of the American Indian, on the Mall, was opened in 2004. It is in a curvilinear shape, similar to rock formations, and clad with Kasota limestone.
1104 8th St. SE is an old building in the area near the Navy Yard that has been the main gay entertainment district for the last 50 years. The Bachelor’s Mill moved into this building in 1984.
This is one of the “Columbus” doors from the main set of doors of the U.S. Capitol on the east facade. Since the public is no longer allowed up the steps, this view from below does not show the bottom section of the door. The Columbus doors were designed by Randolph Rogers. They are made […]
The Government Printing Office Building No. 3 was built in 1940 for a cost of $5 million, with 480,000 square feet of space on eight floors. The supervising architect was Louis Simon. It replaced the original building constructed in 1861. It is at 732 N. Capitol Street, just to the north of the 1903 GPO […]
1337 H St. NE is a two-story brick building with Italianate roof details. It is currently available for lease as retail or office space, approximately 5,000 sq. ft. It was built in 1920, along the historic H St. corridor. In the past few years, it has housed pop-up art happenings and an unlicensed funeral home.
4 1/2 Street is a narrow two-block long street, running from I st. to L St., between 4th and 5th St. NW. The surrounding area is undergoing extensive redevelopment, but some of the old industrial buildings still remain. This building appears vacant, and is next door to the S&G Autobody Shop.
St. Mary’s School is at 717 5th St. NW. St. Mary’s Mother of God was established in 1846 by German immigrants. The current building was designed by E. F. Baldwin in 1890 in the Gothic style. See the other buildings in the complex: the parish, and the rectory.