Monthly Archives: July 2015

1121 5th St. NW

1121 5th St. NW is a two-story stone building, originally constructed in 1927 as headquarters for the  Washington News Company, and later serving as a book warehouse before renovation into an office building.

Kesher Israel Congregation

Kesher Israel Congregation began in 1910 in Georgetown.  They moved to 2801 N St. NW in 1915, to a small rowhouse.  In 1931, they constructed the current building on the site, a three-story brick building with stone trim and milky-glass windows made of post-industrial waste. The congregation is modern Orthodox, and has attracted many prominent […]

Eastern Market

Eastern Market, at 225 7th St. SE, was built in 1873 by architect Adolf Cluss in the Italianate style, and expanded in 1908 by architect Snowden Ashford.  It is the oldest continuously operating public market in the city. It was designed for selling fresh food, with a one-story high lofted design providing excellent ventilation.  The […]

605 New York Ave. NW

605 New York Avenue NW is a small brick commercial building, constructed in 1900.  It, and the similar 607 building attached to it, are part of the area being redeveloped by Douglass Development into the 655 New York Avenue office building complex.  Douglass Development has worked with the D.C. Historic Preservation Office to preserve these […]