Our Lady of Lebanon Maronite Church, at 7142 Alaska Avenue, was built in 1976. It is a modern concrete structure with stained glass doors. The architect was Alexis Moukarzel, who wrote that “The multi faceted envelope of the entrance expresses a new pioneering trend in design recently called “new edge design”.
First Baptist Church, at 710 Randolph Street, is a large brick and stone church in the Gothic style. It was built in 1915 by architects Charles W. Bolton & Sons. The church was originally built for the Wallace Memorial Presbyterian Church, and was acquired by the First Baptist Church in 1958.
824 Upshur Street is a three-story semi-detached house, now used by the Bethel Training Institute. It was built in 1965.
801 Shepherd Street, the Boys & Girls Clubhouse, is part of the large building that houses Petworth Elementary School and a branch of the Metropolitan Police Department. The building was designed in 1901 by Appleton P. Clark, Jr.
3807 New Hampshire Avenue is a three-story rowhouse, brick with stone trim. It was built in 1910.
Zion Hill Baptist Church, at 841 Shepherd St., is brick with stone trim. It was built in 1911 by architects Speiden & Speiden. It was built for the Petworth Primitive Baptist Church, and was acquired by the Zion Hill Baptist Church in 1971.
The First Church of Seventh Day Adventists, at 810 Shepherd Street, is a rectangular brick and stone building. It was built in 1938 for the Har-Zion Voliner Anshey Sfard congregation by architect George Santmeyers. The Seventh Day Adventists purchased it in 1955.
Brightwood Elementary School is a D.C. public elementary school. It started in 1897, and the current building at 1300 Nicholson St. was built in 1926. The architect was Waddy B. Wood, a famed D.C. architect. The building is a three-story brick building with a columned facade above the front door, and limestone trim.
The DCFD station at 5101 Georgia Ave NW houses Engine Company 24 and Rescue 2, and is one of the three heavy-duty rescue operations in D.C. Engine Company 24 was formed in 1911, originally at 3702 Georgia Ave. NW, and this location later became a Metro stop. Engine Company 24 and Rescue 2 moved to […]
The Brotherhood of the Cross and Star is at 916 Rittenhouse St. NW. The Brotherhood has a number of churches in the U.S., and describes itself as a “Spiritual School of Practical Christianity.” The building is a two-story brick house with attic dormer, built in 1936.