First Baptist Church, at 710 Randolph Street, is a large brick and stone church in the Gothic style. It was built in 1915 by architects Charles W. Bolton & Sons. The church was originally built for the Wallace Memorial Presbyterian Church, and was acquired by the First Baptist Church in 1958.
824 Upshur Street is a three-story semi-detached house, now used by the Bethel Training Institute. It was built in 1965.
801 Shepherd Street, the Boys & Girls Clubhouse, is part of the large building that houses Petworth Elementary School and a branch of the Metropolitan Police Department. The building was designed in 1901 by Appleton P. Clark, Jr.
3807 New Hampshire Avenue is a three-story rowhouse, brick with stone trim. It was built in 1910.
Zion Hill Baptist Church, at 841 Shepherd St., is brick with stone trim. It was built in 1911 by architects Speiden & Speiden. It was built for the Petworth Primitive Baptist Church, and was acquired by the Zion Hill Baptist Church in 1971.
The First Church of Seventh Day Adventists, at 810 Shepherd Street, is a rectangular brick and stone building. It was built in 1938 for the Har-Zion Voliner Anshey Sfard congregation by architect George Santmeyers. The Seventh Day Adventists purchased it in 1955.
3702 Georgia Avenue NW is at the corner of Georgia and New Hampshire Avenue. It was constructed in 1911 as the D.C. fire station for Engine 24. In 1994, Engine 24 moved to 5101 Georgia Avenue. At that time, the front entrance was shifted from the Georgia Avenue side to the New Hampshire Avenue side. […]
Gideon Baptist Church, at 901 Ingraham St., is a small two-story brick church with a white steeple.
The Fishermen of Men Church, at 3641 Georgia Avenue, was founded in 1969 and acquired the Georgia Avenue location in 1977. The building was originally the York Theater, built in 1919 for movie theater owner Harry Crandall by architect Reginald Geare. Crandall owned many movie theaters in D.C., including the Lincoln, and was one of […]