1310 19th St. is a an old town house near Dupont Circle, converted into offices.
The National Geographic Society administration building was built on 16th St. next to the older original headquarters of the Society at 16th and M. The building was built in two phases, in 1913 and 1932. The reflections in the door are from the University Club across 16th St.
Glass is prevalent in most of the modern office buildings in the business district of D.C. This glass door with metal bars reflects the constant stream of people walking by the busy corner of Connecticut and K Street. It was built in 2012, replacing a previous building from 1956.
1504 P St. NW is a rowhouse divided into condos. It was built in 1865.
Located on the corner of 14th and G St., the Commercial National Bank Building was constructed in 1917 out of limestone in a simple neo-classical style. The architect was Waddy B. Wood, who also designed the Department of the Interior. The building sold in August 2013 for $183 million to the Paramount Group Inc. The […]
The buildings on this block of Chinatown are flush together. The door at 819 6th St. NW is at the edge of the property, with #817 abutting right up against the door frame. The property was built in 1896 by the Mullett firm. This firm was founded by Alfred Mullett, who had been the supervising […]
The townhouse at 1739 P St. has a plain door surrounded by elaborate brickwork.
The Carnegie Institution for Science is an imposing Beaux-Arts building on 16th Street, but not as imposing as it might have been, since Andrew Carnegie wanted a building that was more about the work being done inside than the impressiveness of the building itself. The architects were John Carrére and Thomas Hastings, who also built […]
Snap is a cafe at 1062 Thomas Jefferson St. in Georgetown, in a typical old Georgetown row building. It was built in 1914.
The Department of Justice building, on Pennsylvania Avenue, was completed in 1935. The building was designed to fit in with the other Federal buildings nearby, so it has many classical and Greek elements. The doors are art deco, made of 20 foot high aluminum panels that slide into the building walls.