The Seventh Street Savings Bank, at 1300 7th St. on the corner of N St., was built for a small neighborhood bank in 1912 by architects Alfred Rich and Alphonsus FitzSimons. It is in the Classical Revival style, in beige brick with limestone and terra-cotta trim. The bank was not large enough to fill most […]
Decatur House is on Jackson Place on the northwest corner of Lafayette Square. It was built for Commodore Stephen Decatur in 1819. He used his prize money from naval conquests in the War of !812 to finance the house. Decatur died in a duel just over a year after he moved into the house. His […]
The original National Geographic building, at 16th and M, was built in 1902. It is named Hubbard Hall, after the first president of the society, Gardiner Greene Hubbard. Hubbard’s son-in-law, Alexander Graham Bell, and his wife were involved with plans for the construction. The architects were the D.C. firm of Hornblower & Marshall. The reflections […]
The Calvary Baptist Church is on the corner of 8th and H St., NW. This door is on the H St. side. The church was built in 1866, of pressed red brick, in the Gothic Revival style. Most of the church, except the steeple and two walls, burned down in 1867 and the building was […]
The Georgetown Car Barn, officially named the Capitol Traction Company Union Station, is at 3600 M St., on the corner of Prospect St. (and next to the Exorcist stairs) and across the street from Key Bridge. It was built in 1895 by D.C. architect Waddy B. Wood, who designed a complex building with multiple levels […]
Hellenic House, at 1220 16th St., is the center of the American Hellenic Institute. From their Facebook page: “The American Hellenic Institute is a non-profit Greek American public policy center that works to strengthen relations between the United States and Greece and Cyprus, and within the Greek American community.” The blue doors and white railings […]
The residence of the Embassy of Cameroon is at 2349 Massachusetts Avenue, on the corner of Massachusetts and 24th St. It has been vacated while undergoing renovation since 2009. The Republic of Cameroon bought the property in 1972. Prior to that, from 1929 to 1969, the property was the Czechoslovakian Embassy. The building was constructed […]
1949 Vermont Avenue is on the corner of Vermont and U St. Built in 1900, it is a brick townhouse with the entrance set in a rounded section facing the street corner.
The Kalorama, built in 1911, is a five-story building now subdivided into 18 condos. It is at 1822 Columbia Rd., at the corner of Kalorama Rd.
The Trowbridge House, at 708 Jackson Place, is one of the rowhouses facing Lafayette Square on the west side. It was built in 1859 for mathematician William Trowbridge, in the Italianate style. The government leased it starting around 1900, and purchased it in 1950. It has been used for a variety of Federal offices. The […]