The original National Geographic building, at 16th and M, was built in 1902. It is named Hubbard Hall, after the first president of the society, Gardiner Greene Hubbard. Hubbard’s son-in-law, Alexander Graham Bell, and his wife were involved with plans for the construction. The architects were the D.C. firm of Hornblower & Marshall. The reflections in the door are from the American Chemical Society building across 16th St.