The H St. NE corridor has had many recent redevelopments and new restaurants and businesses moving into the old buildings, having become a popular destination and in anticipation of the streetcar which is due to start operating this year. There are still some properties, like this one, that have not yet been remodeled. This building […]
DCFD Engine Co 3 is at 439 New Jersey Avenue, N.W. It began operating there in November, 1916. Engine Co 3 is one of the 33 fire stations in D.C., and is part of Battalion 2 of the DC Fire Department. Other stations in Battalion 2 are Engine 7 at 1101 Half St. S.W., Engine […]
The Home of the Commandants, at 801 G St. SE, was built in 1806, on land selected by Thomas Jefferson in 1801 for the Marine Corps. The location was selected so that it would be within easy marching distance of the White House. The Marine Corps Barracks are the oldest in the U.S., and the […]
The Lillian & Albert Small Jewish Museum, run by the Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington, is at 701 3rd St. NW. It is the former Adas Israel Synagogue, which was built in 1876 and located at 6th and G St., and is the oldest synagogue in D.C. In 1908, Adas Israel built a new […]
St. Margaret’s Episcopal Church, at 1820 Connecticut Avenue, was originally built in 1895 as a small church by architect James G. Hill, who had also designed the Government Printing Office. It was more than tripled in size by architect Arthur B. Heaton in 1909. The building is in the Gothic Revival style, with a red […]
The Irving, at 3101 Sherman St., is a red-brick four-story apartment building with 21 units. It was designed by architect Sam Novak in about 1941; Novak designed thirteen apartment projects in D.C.
The 900 block of M St. NW is a row of townhouses. 917 is now a vacant site in the front, with a proposal to construct a five-story apartment building. The rear of 917 faces historic Blagden Alley. The rear buildings along this row were originally constructed in the 1880’s as two-story alley buildings, then […]
The Washington Baptist Seminary is at 1600 13th St. NW, one block north of Logan Circle. The seminary was founded in 1926 and moved to this location in 1940.
819 Wiley St. NE is a rowhouse one block from the H St. NE corridor.
The Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium, on Constitution Avenue, was completed in 1934 as part of the Federal Triangle project. It was designed by San Francisco architect Arthur Brown, Jr., and fits in between the surrounding buildings of Labor, ICC, and EPA, which he also designed. The facade has three identical gated doorways on the Constitution […]