The row of five townhouses at 1743-1755 N St. NW has been vacant for many years. This door is from one of the three symmetrical townhouses at the west side of the row. Built in 1889, these townhouses are brick and Seneca stone, in the Queen Anne and Romanesque style. The architect for these three townhouses is unknown. The other two townhouses in this row were designed by Waddy B. Wood.
The row was originally the Graylyn Hotel and Woodbine Apartments. It had been largely empty for many years when developer Morton Bender bought the row for $8 million in 1998. He spent many years, and litigation, trying to get the D.C. zoning board and historic preservation office to approve his plans, trying for offices and then a hotel. All were turned down. The tax liens on the property were purchased and Madison Homes is now developing the properties into 70 condos, due to be finished in 2015. Currently, it does not yet look like much work has been done, and the asbestos warning signs are prominent on all the doors.