Bulfinch Gatehouse

The Bulfinch Gatehouses were a pair of identical gatehouses erected about 1826 on the west entrance to the Capitol, by Charles Bulfinch, Architect of the Capitol. They were removed from the Capitol grounds in 1874, and in 1880 were set up in their present locations – one at the corner of 17th and Constitution, and the one pictured here at 15th and Constitution.