St. Margaret’s Episopal

St. Margaret’s Episcopal Church, at 1820 Connecticut Avenue, was originally built in 1895 as a small church by architect James G. Hill, who had also designed the Government Printing Office. It was more than tripled in size by architect Arthur B. Heaton in 1909. The building is in the Gothic Revival style, with a red brick exterior and 16 stained glass windows, three of those by Tiffany. It originally had more of a rural look, until the widening of Connecticut Avenue in the 1920’s put it right near the street.