St. Peter’s on Capitol Hill is at 313 2nd St. SE. The original St. Peter’s Church was built on this site in 1820. After the congregation outgrew that building, a new church was built in 1889. The building was destroyed in a fire in 1940, and subsequently rebuilt. In the earthquake of 2011, the building sustained extensive damage to its roof and cross which has been repaired. The stones of the church are from nearby Frederick Maryland, and are sugar marble.