Thaddeus Stevens Elementary School is located at 1050 21st Street, N.W. It was built in 1868 as a school for freed slaves. Additions were built in the late 1800’s. When the school was closed in 2008, it was the oldest school building still in use in D.C. It has been vacant for the past six years. The initial plans were to make it mixed-use residential, but that plan was controversial. Current plans are for part of it to be redeveloped as a school, which will be managed by the Ivymount School, as a lab school for challenged students. A 10-story office building will be constructed on the other part of the property.