53 D St. SE is the legislative office of the The Associated General Contractors of America. It is closer than any other trade office to the House of Representatives. It was built as a residential rowhouse in 1898, fitting in on the corner between other rowhouses on the block. The original owner used it as a rental property. In 1916, the first floor was converted into a grocery store and its storefront windows were enlarged. At that time, D.C. zoning laws encouraged grocery stores to be located in residential areas, and this building had a perfect corner location for a store. It remained as a grocery store on the first floor, with the residence above, until the 1960’s, when it was converted into offices, with tenants such as the Congressional Personnel Office and the National Association of Republican Women. It was bought by the AGA in 2000.