The Grimke School, at 1923 Vermont Avenue NW, was built in 1887, with additions made in 1937. It was first the Phelps School, then the business department of M St. High School, then Grimke Elementary (named after Archibald Grimke, U.S. Consul to Santo Domingo). The school was closed six years ago, and the D.C. Fire Department and the D.C. Department of Corrections use the space. D.C. is soliciting proposals for redevelopment, including the school and surrounding parcels. The proposals must include space for the African-American Civil War Museum, which is currently in the Grimke school annex.