Congressional Cemetery, at 1801 E St. SE, is an historic cemetery, started before the Civil War. It is privately-owned (by Christ Church), but the government has purchased many burial spots there for prominent officials, especially in the 19th century. These wrought-iron doors are to the Public Vault, which was built in 1832 with government funds, to be a place to store dead government officials temporarily until their burial. People who were stored there include President John Quincy Adams, President Harrison, President Taylor, Senator Calhoun, and Dolley Madison. The Public Vault is on the National Register of Historic Places.