633 Pennsylvania Avenue NW was built in 1860 as the St. Marc Hotel. In 1887, it was purchased by the Central National Bank, and the facade redesigned by architect Alfred Mullett. The bank used the building until 1907, and leased it to various retail tenants for many years after that. Sears Roebuck bought the building in 1984 and renovated it as headquarters for its World Trade division. In 1995, the National Council of Negro Women (founded by Mary McLeod Bethune in 1935) bought the building for its headquarters.