700 F St. NW – Hotel Monaco

700 F St NW has been the Hotel Monaco since 2002. It was built as the General Post Office, in 1842 by architect Robert Mills, clad in marble with design elements referencing the Temple of Jupiter. The Post Office occupied the building until 1897, then it was the General Land Office and the Tariff Office until 1988. Samuel Morse operated the first public telegraph office in this building.