The Corcoran Gallery of Art was founded by William Corcoran in 1869, and ceased to operate as the Corcoran on October 1, 2014. The original gallery was in what is now the Renwick Museum. The gallery expanded to this building in 1897. Architect Ernest Flagg designed the building in the French Beaux-Arts style, with some Greek details. George Washington University has assumed ownership of the building, and will use much of the space for art-school classrooms, and the National Gallery will have display space for its collection and some of the former Corcoran collection.