Foundry United Methodist Church was founded in 1814 by Henry Foxhall. The impetus for founding the church was Foxhall’s gratitude that his Georgetown foundry survived the burning of Washington during the War of 1812. The current church building, at 1500 16th St. NW, was built in 1904 by architect Appleton Clark.
Presidents Lincoln, Hayes, and Clinton all attended the church. Roosevelt and Churchill attended a special Christmas service in 1941, weeks after the Pearl Harbor attack.