Georgetown Baptist Church was founded in 1866. This church building, at 3101 N St., was completed in 1903 and is in the Romanesque Revival style.
The church has had several names. In the first couple of years after its founding, it was called The First Baptist Church of Georgetown. Then from 1868 to 1899, it was the Gay Street Baptist Church (Gay St. was the former name of N St.). In 1899, the name was changed to West Washington Baptist Church. Congress had revoked the charter of Georgetown and incorporated it into the city in 1871 and renamed the area “West Washington.” In the early 1900’s, West Washington stopped being commonly used and the primary name became Georgetown again. This church was the last holdout using the name West Washington by a several decades, only changing from West Washington to Georgetown Baptist Church in 1955.