The Evening Star Building, at 1101 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, was constructed in 1898 for the Washington Star newspaper. It was designed by architect William Marsh, out of white marble in the Beaux-Arts style. The Star closed in 1981, and the building was converted to an office building.
The Harrison, at 704 3rd St. NW, is the oldest surviving apartment building in D.C. It was built in 1890, by architect Charles Gibbs, who designed it in the Romanesque Revival style. It contained 79 apartments, and was designed to look like a series of large rowhouses. It has been boarded up for the last […]
4116 Chesapeake Street was built in 1910, by the Perna Brothers stone masons, who were builders in Tenleytown, along with their relatives the Porto family. They worked on a number of houses in Tenleytown, and also worked on the Washington Monument and some of the buildings in Glen Echo Park.
S&G Autobody Shop is on 4 1/2 Street, which is basically a 2-block alleyway running between I St. and L St.
The Embassy of Tribal Nations, and the National Congress of American Indians, are headquartered at 1516 P St. NW, a large rowhouse.
The Russian Cultural Center, at 1825 Phelps Place, is owned by the Russian government and operates as part of a bi-lateral agreement where the U.S. and Russia each have cultural centers in the other country to foster positive relationships through culture and arts. The mansion was built in 1895, and became the home of Evalyn […]
Eldbrooke Methodist Church has had a presence at 4100 River Road since 1840. The current building was built in 1926, and was their fourth church building at this location. In 2008, The City Church purchased the church. The church was designed by Howard W. Cutler, in the Spanish Colonial Revival style. the exterior is stucco, […]
This is the original Government Printing Office building, at 710 North Capitol Street, constructed in 1903 by architect James G. Hill. The area was originally called Swampoodle and this building was nicknamed The Swamp. It is a massive red-brick building in the Romanesque Revival style, with eight acres of floor space. At the time it […]
1702 Q St. NW is a large rowhouse built in 1890, and now divided into condos.
Saint Mary Mother of God Parish, at 727 5th St. NW, was established in 1845 by German immigrants. The current church building was constructed in 1890. See also the adjoining rectory and school.