This is the original Government Printing Office building, at 710 North Capitol Street, constructed in 1903 by architect James G. Hill. The area was originally called Swampoodle and this building was nicknamed The Swamp. It is a massive red-brick building in the Romanesque Revival style, with eight acres of floor space. At the time it was built, it was designed with numerous safety features for its workers.
See also Government Printing Office Building No. 3 and Building No. 4.