Neighborhood
Brightwood

Military Road School

The Military Road School was established in 1864 to educate African-American children. The building was designed by Snowden Ashford, the city’s Municipal Architect, in 1912. The building is currently used by the Latin American Montessori Bilingual Public Charter School.
The site is at 1375 Missouri Ave., NW, which was formerly part of Military Road, the road connecting D.C.’s Civil War forts.
The school is on the National Register of Historic Places.