Neighborhood
Dupont Circle

Russian Cultural Center

The Russian Cultural Center, at 1825 Phelps Place, is owned by the Russian government and operates as part of a bi-lateral agreement where the U.S. and Russia each have cultural centers in the other country to foster positive relationships through culture and arts.
The mansion was built in 1895, and became the home of Evalyn Walsh McLean in the early 1900’s. McLean owned the Washington Post and the Hope Diamond. The Russian government bought the building in the 1950’s and used it as an embassy school and consultate, and in 1999 turned it into the Cultural Center.