Neighborhood
Downtown

Freer Gallery of Art

The Freer Gallery of Art is part of the Smithsonian, and the art and funds for the building were donated by Charles Freer.  The gallery was completed in 1921, designed by Charles Platt in the Italian Renaissance style, to reflect Freer’s visits to Italian palazzos.  The exterior is pink granite from Massachusetts.  The building is on the National Register of Historic Places.