The Sumner School, at 1201 17th St. NW, was built in 1872 by architect Adolph Cluss, in red brick in the Romanesque Revival style. Cluss also designed the Smithsonian’s Art and Industries Building, Calvary Baptist Church, Eastern Market, and Franklin School. The Sumner School was one of the first D.C. schools for African-American students. Since the 1980’s, it has been a museum and houses the archives of the D.C. school system. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.