Building 116 of the Navy Yard Annex is at Boyer St. SE, by the Anacostia River.
The Navy Yard was established in 1799. The Navy Yard Annex, on the western side of the Navy Yard, was constructed beginning in 1898 during the Spanish-American War. It consists of many large industrial buildings, primarily of red brick, used for the production of heavy armaments for the navy ships. The most important production was the 16 inch guns used on ships during WWI and WWII. Building 116 is the boiler plant, built in 1904.
Weapons production ceased at the Navy Yard Annex in 1962. In 1963, the Annex was turned over to the General Services Administration, except for buildings 116 and 118 which remain Navy property. The Navy Yard Annex is being redeveloped into a multi-use area, including recreation, retail, restaurants, and housing, while retaining the historical buildings.