Eastern Market, at 225 7th St. SE, was built in 1873 by architect Adolf Cluss in the Italianate style, and expanded in 1908 by architect Snowden Ashford. It is the oldest continuously operating public market in the city. It was designed for selling fresh food, with a one-story high lofted design providing excellent ventilation. The building was badly damaged by a fire in 2007, and was reconstructed and reopened in 2009.