The Frederick Douglass house, at 1411 W St., SE, is on a high hill with views of D.C. and the Capitol. Douglass purchased this house in 1877 and lived there until he died in 1895. The house had originally been built in 1855. Douglass named the house Cedar Hill, and expanded it and bought more property around it.
The National Park Service administers this historic site.