Building 113 of the Navy Yard Annex was built in 1903, as a coppersmith shop. It cost $32,000 to build, with a floor space of 12,000 square feet.
The Navy Yard was established in 1799, and the Annex was constructed beginning in 1898 during the Spanish-American War, and extending through World War II. Most of the buildings are red brick, in the Colonial Revival style. The industrial complex was used for the production of heavy armaments for the navy ships. The complex has 11 massive buildings and four smaller ones. Building 113 is one of the smaller ones.
Weapons production ceased at the Navy Yard Annex in 1962. In 1963, the Annex was turned over to the General Services Administration, who eventually sold the rights to developers for the Capitol Riverfront redevelopment project, creating a multi-use area, including recreation, retail, restaurants, and housing, while retaining the historical buildings. The redevelopment has not yet extended as far as Building 113.