The Potomac Boat Club was founded in 1869. In 1908, the current boathouse was built at 3530 Water Street NW. The two-story wood-frame building is white with green trim. It sits between the canal and the Potomac River. On the Potomac side, there are boat ramps from the building into the water. Membership areas are on the second floor, with balconies overlooking the Potomac.