Neighborhood
Downtown

Department of Agriculture – administrative building

The administrative building of the Department of Agriculture was built from 1904 to 1930, by architects Rankin, Kellogg and Crane, in the Beaux-Arts style.  It faces the Mall, and is the only non-public building on the Mall.  When the south building of the Department was built in 1936, two large stone pedestrian bridges were built across Independence Avenue to connect the two buildings.