Neighborhood
Capitol Riverfront

1520 First St. SE

The Capitol Pumphouse is at 1520 First St. SE, on a pier in the Anacostia River near Nationals Stadium.  It was built in 1903, and pumped river water to the Capitol for use in steam heating until the 1950’s.  It was vacant for about 40 years, and in 2008 was refurbished to house the Earth Conservation Corps, a non-profit group helping at-risk young adults learn to work with the environment.