1140 3rd St NE is the former Washington Coliseum, known as Uline Arena. It opened in 1941 as an ice hockey arena, and after World War II was also used as a basketball arena and for performances, including the Beatles first performance in the U.S. It fell into disuse in 1973 after the hockey and basketball teams moved to new arenas, and it closed in 1986. The company that handled D.C. trash removal bought the facility and used it from 1994 to 2003 as a trash transfer station. Douglas Development bought the property, and REI later developed it into a flagship store, opening in 2016. The building also has office and retail space.