The Spanish Embassy is at 2375 Pennsylvania Avenue. It combines a tow of three-story brick townhouses with a modern extension of an additional three-stories of glass above.
The West End Flats, at 1121 24th St. NW, is a five-story condo building with 46 units. The building was extensively modified and converted into condos in 2008. The building was formerly the Tiverton Apartments, built in 1940. The Tiverton was the last rent-controlled apartment building in the West End.
1004 22nd St. NW is a three-story brick townhouse, built in 1921. It is part of a row of townhouses, all with similar red brick, black window trim, and grey slate roofs with turreted detailing.
1117 24th St. NW, along with 1115 24th St. NW, are fenced off and appear to be vacant. They are next door to the West End Library, which has recently been torn down, and along with the fire station, are being rebuilt as part of a large mixed-use redevelopment in the West End.
1115 24th St. NW, built in 1900, is a brick rowhouse. It is fenced off and appears to be vacant. The West End library, which was next door to it, has just been torn down along with the adjoining fire station. A new library and fire station, along with housing units, will be built as […]
St. Stephen Martyr Catholic Church is at 2436 Pennsylvania Avenue NW. St. Stephen’s parish begin in 1866, and the current church building was completed in 1961. It has a 70-foot bell tower with a large gold cross, dominating that corner of Pennsylvania Avenue. The front of the church has an 35-foot elliptical arch framing a […]
The Westin Georgetown, at 2350 M St. NW, was built in 1984. It is an 8-story brick building in the post-modern style, with some Beaux-Arts and Art Deco detailing. The hotel was originally The Regent. After failures and bankruptcy, the property eventually was bought by Starwood Lodging. Starwood has franchished the hotel to the Westin. […]
2136 Pennsylvania Avenue NW is an old three-story brick townhouse with stone trim. It is part of the real estate owned by GW University in their investment portfolio. GW owns most of the block, known as Square 75A, and will be tearing down the buildings on that block to construct an 11-story office building with […]
The fire station at 2225 M St. NW, Engine Co. 1 and Truck Co. 2, is one of the District’s 33 fire stations. This station is part of Battalion 6, and houses Engine 1, a 2003 Seagrave Pumper Truck. Engine Co. 1 was founded in 1864. The current building, containing 4 bays, was constructed in […]
The Francis-Stevens Education Campus, at 2425 N St. NW, is a pre-K through 8th grade school. The building was constructed in 1927.