The John Jay Apartments were built in 1901 by architect B. Stanley Simmons. In the Italic Renaissance style, the 5- story building was one of the first multi-story apartment buildings in Capitol Hill.
John Lewis’s house, with ribbons after his death, while he is lying in state at the Capitol a few blocks away.
811 11th St. NE is a two-story rowhouse, built in 1900.
The William Syphax School, at 1360 Half St. SW, is a two-story brick school in the Colonial Revival style. It was built in 1904 and used as a school up until 1994. In 2005, it was acquired by the non-profit developer Manna, and turned into affordable condo units as Syphax Village.
St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church, at 14 M St. SE, is a large stone church built in 1904. It is currently famous for holding NatsMass, a mass at the right time to go directly afterwards to the Nationals game nearby on Sundays.
1140 3rd St NE is the former Washington Coliseum, known as Uline Arena. It opened in 1941 as an ice hockey arena, and after World War II was also used as a basketball arena and for performances, including the Beatles first performance in the U.S. It fell into disuse in 1973 after the hockey and […]
210 A St. NE is a three-story brick Victorian townhouse, built in 1890. For the past several years, it has been called the “Breitbart Embassy.” Breitbart News rents the townhouse from the owner Moustafa El-Gindy, a former member of the Egyptian parliament. He bought the house in 2009 for $2.35 million. Breitbart News uses the […]
St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church is at 14 M Street SE. Located near the ballpark, it started a special “Nats Mass” in 2014, a service at noon for baseball fans before home games.
Friendly Davids Market is at 1399 Half Street SW. A mural is being painted on all three sides of the building in November 2017. The mural is by Eric Ricks, and is part of the MuralsDC program, sponsored by the Department of Public Works and the Commission on the Arts and Humanities.
The William Syphax School, at 1322 Half St. SW, was designed in the Colonial Revival style in 1901. It was used as a school from 1901 to 1994, then was empty for a number of years until it was redeveloped into condominiums in 2005, called the Syphax Village. It is on the National Register of […]