Eastern Market, at 225 7th St. SE, was built in 1873 by architect Adolf Cluss in the Italianate style, and expanded in 1908 by architect Snowden Ashford. It is the oldest continuously operating public market in the city. It was designed for selling fresh food, with a one-story high lofted design providing excellent ventilation. The […]
660 Pennsylvania Ave. SE is has 62,000 sq. ft. on four floors, with restaurants and retail at street level and offices above. The building is on the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and 7th St. SE. This door is on the side of the building facing 7th St. The current building was completed in 2003. It […]
1104 8th St. SE is an old building in the area near the Navy Yard that has been the main gay entertainment district for the last 50 years. The Bachelor’s Mill moved into this building in 1984.
The Washington Mechanic’s Savings Bank constructed this building in 1908. It was designed by Clarence Harding and Frank Upton, in the Beaux Arts style, using limestone, granite, and tan brick. The City Bank owned the building from the 1930’s to the 1960’s. The building was purchased and restored by the landscape architecture firm Oehme van […]
The Home of the Commandants, at 801 G St. SE, was built in 1806, on land selected by Thomas Jefferson in 1801 for the Marine Corps. The location was selected so that it would be within easy marching distance of the White House. The Marine Corps Barracks are the oldest in the U.S., and the […]
The Hine Junior High School Building, at 7th and Pennsylvania Ave. SE, is vacant and scheduled for demolition. It is to be replaced by a mixed-use project, but the plans are currently held up by a zoning fight. The original building on that site was Eastern High School, built in 1892. That building was torn […]
Woven History & Silk Road is a store along 7th St. SE, near Eastern Market, part of a row of small stores in old buildings.
This row house, at 706 9th St. SE, is behind Barracks Row. It was built in 1900.