St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church is at 14 M Street SE. Located near the ballpark, it started a special “Nats Mass” in 2014, a service at noon for baseball fans before home games.
Friendly Davids Market is at 1399 Half Street SW. A mural is being painted on all three sides of the building in November 2017. The mural is by Eric Ricks, and is part of the MuralsDC program, sponsored by the Department of Public Works and the Commission on the Arts and Humanities.
The William Syphax School, at 1322 Half St. SW, was designed in the Colonial Revival style in 1901. It was used as a school from 1901 to 1994, then was empty for a number of years until it was redeveloped into condominiums in 2005, called the Syphax Village. It is on the National Register of […]
This church building, at 700 Delaware Avenue SW, is the former Friendship Baptist Church. It was built in 1886, designed by James Boyce in the Romanesque style. In 1965, the congregation outgrew the church building and constructed a new building nearby. It was closed in 2001 and under private ownership. The graffiti artist HENSE (Alex […]
St. Augustine’s Episcopal Church, at 600 M St. SW, is part of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington. It was founded in 1961 and originally met in a nearby seafood restaurant. This building was built in 1965, designed by architect Alexander Cochran. Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall was a member of the church, and in 2006 […]
This door is from one of the out-buildings at the Fish Market, on the waterfront on Maine Avenue. The area along Maine Avenue was pending redevelopment for many years, but as of this spring construction has just started on a $2 billion massive development of the whole four-block stretch, leaving just the Fish Market pier […]
The Randall Junior High School building, at 65 I St. SW, was built in 1906 and closed as a school in 1978. After that, it served as a homeless shelter and for a short time as art studio space. The Corcoran Gallery of Art bought the building from the city in 2006 for $6.2 million, […]