The administration building for Howard University is at 2400 6th St. NW. This photo was taken 4 days after the start of the take-over of the administration building by Howard University students, with their demands posted on the doors.
The William Syphax School, at 1360 Half St. SW, is a two-story brick school in the Colonial Revival style. It was built in 1904 and used as a school up until 1994. In 2005, it was acquired by the non-profit developer Manna, and turned into affordable condo units as Syphax Village.
The William Syphax School, at 1322 Half St. SW, was designed in the Colonial Revival style in 1901. It was used as a school from 1901 to 1994, then was empty for a number of years until it was redeveloped into condominiums in 2005, called the Syphax Village. It is on the National Register of […]
545 7th St. SE is a two-story brick building with stone trim. It was built in 1904 as the B.B. French School, a public vocational school. Starting in 1942, the nearby Marine barracks leased the building until 1959. After that, D.C. used it as storage for three years, and then it remained vacant for about […]
The school at 2427 MLK Jr Avenue is a three-story brick building with stone trim, in the Italian Renaissance style. It was built in 1901 as the James G. Birney Elementary School (the original building for that school was built in 1889 and was adjacent to the new building. It was torn down in 1914). […]
801 Shepherd Street, the Boys & Girls Clubhouse, is part of the large building that houses Petworth Elementary School and a branch of the Metropolitan Police Department. The building was designed in 1901 by Appleton P. Clark, Jr.
Benjamin Banneker High School, at 800 Euclid Street, is a three-story school in the Classical Revival style, brick with limestone trim. It was originally built for Banneker Junior High, a segregated school that was closed after Brown v. Board of Education for three years until it became an integrated school. Banneker High School was created […]
Father O’Connell Hall, at 620 Michigan Ave. N.E., is one of the main buildings on the Catholic University campus. It was built in 1914, in the Gothic style. A major restoration project completed in 2014 preserved the historic elements while upgrading the building to be LEED-certified.
3209 Highland Place is a large three-story brick Georgian-style house. It is now the National Child Research Center, an independent pre-school.
The Hyde School, at 3219 O St. NW, is a public elementary school. It was built in 1911 by architect Arthur B. Heaton, of brick with stone trim. It is two stories, with 15 foot ceilings and large windows.